Microsoft Small Business Server Backup
On This Page
Microsoft SBS Backup Configuration Wizard (SBS Backup) is a system utility that facilitates scheduled backups on Microsoft Small Business Server 2003. To use SBS Backup with Firestreamer-RM, you need to select tape as the backup destination while configuring the Wizard.
- SBS Backup does not allow selecting between different tape drives, which may be a problem if you also have a normal tape drive.
- SBS Backup does not support media spanning.
- To perform a backup, SBS Backup executes the Microsoft Backup Utility configured to unconditionally overwrite the first available media.
Because of its inherent limitations, SBS Backup may not work properly with Firestreamer-RM in some cases. When SBS Backup starts, it starts up the Removable Storage service, which in turn queries the Firestreamer-RM virtual tape drive. While it may take up to ten seconds for Removable Storage to recognize the current media, SBS Backup may time out in just a few seconds. If your SBS Backup fails with "Unable to detect tape drive or tape media" or similar error, try the following.
- Initialize the Removable Storage database, to ensure it is not corrupted.
- Select the Enable on system startup option on the Backup tab of the Firestreamer-RM Control Panel.
- Set Startup type of the Removable Storage service to Automatic.
SBS Backup is just a shell that ultimately runs the same Microsoft Backup Utility. Besides, it is hard to troubleshoot SBS Backup failures due to the obscure error reporting. We strongly recommend replacing SBS Backup with the Firestreamer-RM Wrapper, which is much more powerful and robust.
Converting a SBS Backup Task to the Firestreamer-RM Wrapper
To convert an existing scheduled SBS Backup task to the Firestreamer-RM Wrapper, follow the steps below.
- Open the Microsoft Backup Utility in the Advanced mode.
- Click the Backup tab.
- Click Job on the top menu, and then click Load Selections.
- Locate and open the SBS Backup selection script, which is usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Windows Small Business Server\Backup\Small Business Backup Script.bks.
- Click Start Backup, and then click Schedule.
- Enter the job name and configure the schedule as needed.
- Click OK to save the task.
- Open the Firestreamer-RM Control Panel.
- Click the Schedule tab.
- Double-click the name of the task.
- On the Firestreamer-RM Wrapper tab, click Add Wrapper.
- Follow the pages to specify the task settings as required. You can press F1 on your keyboard at any time to get immediate help.
- Click Finish to save the changes.
- Click Open Scheduled Tasks.
- Right-click the name of the task, and then click Run to test the task.
For more information, see Scheduled Backups.
For more information, see the following article.