BD, HD DVD and DVD
On This Page
If you use Firestreamer-RM with optical media, consider the following:
- You do not need to format optical media before using it with Firestreamer-RM.
- Initialization of a blank optical medium may take up to a few minutes at the beginning and the end of a backup.
- If you have not used Firestreamer-RM before, try rewritable media first. If something goes wrong, you will not be able to reuse ±R write-once media.
- Recorded BD-R, HD DVD-R and DVD±R write-once media must be finalized to be compatible with read-only (ROM) drives. However, you do not need to finalize media if you plan to use it only with a writer drive.
- You can only append to ±R write-once media; you cannot overwrite previous backups.
- Rewritable DVD+RW media can sustain only a limited number of writes. To avoid data corruption, discard DVD+RW media after several overwrite cycles. Consider using DVD-RAM, BD or HD DVD instead, which are much more reliable.
- We recommend that you enable data verification in your backup software when performing backups to DVD+RW.
- Firestreamer-RM does not support DVD-R/RW. Please use DVD+R/RW or DVD-RAM instead.
- Do not be confused by the RW logo on DVD+R media, as this type of media is not rewritable.
- Make sure the speed rating of the media matches the speed of your drive.
- Always use high-quality branded media.
Recorded BD-R, HD DVD-R and DVD±R media must be finalized to be compatible with read-only (ROM) drives. Once finalized, the media cannot be used for additional recording. You do not need to finalize media if you plan to use it only with a writer drive. Rewritable RW and RAM discs do not require finalization because they are compatible with ROM drives straight after recording.
To finalize an optical medium, follow the steps below:
- Open the Firestreamer-RM Control Panel.
- On the Backup tab, click Enable, unless Firestreamer-RM is already enabled.
- Click the Media tab.
- Insert the medium in the drive.
- Wait for up to one minute for the medium to be recognized.
- Click Finalize Disk.
Note it may take several minutes to finalize an optical medium.
If you are experiencing problems with optical media, consider the following.
- Try to upgrade the firmware of your media drive. Visit the drive manufacturer's website for an updated version of the firmware.
- Try different brands of media.
- Try to disable CD-ROM filter drivers.