How To Back Up
On This Page
Performing an Interactive Backup
To perform an interactive backup with the Microsoft Backup Utility to Firestreamer-RM, follow the same procedure as you would with a physical stand-alone tape drive. You need to select IBM 3480, as opposed to File, as the backup type. From the Backup Utility's point of view, Firestreamer-RM is a tape drive, and pieces of Firestreamer-RM media (BD, DVD, HDD, Iomega REV etc.) are tape cartridges.
To perform an interactive backup, follow the steps below.
- Remove all media from your media drives.
- Open the Microsoft Backup Utility by one of the following preferred methods:
- Click Start, point to Programs, point to Firestreamer-RM, and then click Open Backup Utility, or
- Open the Firestreamer-RM Control Panel, click the Backup tab, and then click Open Backup Utility.
- Once opened, the Backup Utility displays the Backup or Restore Wizard window. Click Next to skip the Welcome page. If you are an experienced user, you may want to click Advanced Mode.
- On the Backup or Restore page, click Back up files and settings, and then click Next.
- On the What to Back Up page, select the items you want to back up, and then click Next. If you selected Let me choose what to back up, you will see an additional page where you can choose specific files and folders.
- On the Backup Type, Destination, and Name page, select IBM 3480 as the backup type.
- On the same Backup Type, Destination, and Name page, choose the media you want to use. Select New to use a new piece of media or overwrite an old one, or select the label of the previously recorded media you want to append the backup to. Click Next.
- On the Completing the Wizard page, click Advanced.
- On the Type of Backup page, select the type of backup that suits your needs, and then click Next.
- On the How to Back Up page, you can select the verification, compression, and shadow copy options. Click Next.
- On the Backup Options page, you can specify whether to overwrite data, and whether to restrict access to your data. Click Next.
- On the Backup Label page, enter the labels for your backup and media. Click Next.
- On the When to Back Up page, click Now, and then click Next.
- On the Completing the Wizard page, click Finish to start the backup.
- You will be prompted to insert media as needed (see Adding Media below).
- Once the backup is complete, write down the media name shown as Label in the Backup Progress window.
- Click Close to exit the Backup Utility.
- Eject the media and label it with the media name you wrote down at step 16.
To avoid confusion, make sure only a single drive has a piece of compatible media inserted during an interactive backup operation. You do not need to specify the drive letter of your media drive, as Firestreamer-RM connects to the first available drive with compatible media inside.
When the Backup Utility prompts for media, insert the appropriate piece of media into your media drive.
If the media has not been used with Firestreamer-RM before, the Backup Utility may ask you to prepare the media. Click Yes to proceed.
When you insert media into your media drive, Windows may ask you to select an action to perform. Click Take no action, and then click OK.