Firestreamer is a software utility that enables the existing tape backup software to access a wide range of non-tape storage media, making possible long-term and off-site retention of data without the need for tape drives.
- Seamless integration with your tape backup software.
- Built-in data compression.
- Support for up to 8 emulated tape libraries.
- Support for up to 255 tape drives and 60,000 storage slots per tape library.
- Automation interface.
- Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager, starting with version 2007 SP1 and up to the latest version (System Center DPM 2022 as of May 2023), with any service pack.
Microsoft Windows Server, starting with version 2003 SP1 and up to the latest version (Windows Server 2022 as of May 2023), all x86 and x64 editions, with any service pack.
NOTE: On Windows Server Core, you need to install Server Core App Compatibility Feature on Demand (FOD) first.
- Microsoft Windows, starting with Windows Vista and up to Windows 11, all x86 and x64 editions, with any service pack.
The following file media are supported:
- Files on any file system accessible to a kernel mode driver. This includes file systems on any local or remote storage devices, such as internal and external hard disk drives (HDD), SAN, network shares, NAS, and so on.
The following drive media are supported:
- Any storage devices recognized by the operating system as direct-access media, such as internal and external hard disk drives (HDD), RDX removable disks, flash memory, and so on.
- Blu-ray (BD-RW, BD-R, BD-RW DL, BD-R DL).
- HD DVD (experimental support for HD DVD-RAM and HD DVD-R).
- DVD (DVD-RAM, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, with the exception of DVD-R and DVD-RW).
- Iomega REV.
Firestreamer supports all hardware interfaces recognized by the operating system. This includes USB, SCSI, iSCSI, IEEE-1394 (FireWire), ATA (IDE, EIDE), ATAPI, SATA, SATAPI, eSATA, and so on.