Automation script using network storage rather than removable media

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
espringer

Post by espringer »

I am wanting to use firesteamer as file media with a single drive "T:". I would like to use a folder structure with a media map file in each folder containing tapes for each week. For example:
T:\tape\week1\mediamap1.fsrm
T:\tape\week2\mediamap2.fsrm
T:\tape\week3\mediamap3.fsrm
T:\tape\week4\mediamap4.fsrm

Can this sort of structure be incorporated into the automation script provided? It appears to be looking in the root of the drive for the media map file, but we are trying to avoid having to create multiple drives and "swapping" them.
thanks for any assistance.
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

The provided automation script is just an example. In your own script, you can do whatever you want.

You seem to ask whether you can alternate different sets of virtual tapes located in different folders on the same network share. Yes, you can. You can also load media map files from any location. A media map file, in turn, can mix virtual tapes from different locations.

However,

1) It is unclear from your example whether "mediamapN.fsrm" is really a media map file (which contains a list of virtual tapes to be loaded) or a single virtual tape file (based on the ".fsrm" file extension). Of course, nothing prevents you from using any file extension for any Firestreamer data file, but "media map" and ".fsrm" put together cause a certain confusion. We suggest that media map files use the ".fsmap" file extension, as opposed to ".fsrm" used for virtual tapes.

2) Virtual tapes are loaded in the user security context the Firestreamer Helper Service is running under. The next version of Firestreamer will allow a custom "net use" command to assign drive letters in that security context. However, with the current version of Firestreamer, it is hard to ascertain whether the security context used has a particular drive letter mapped to a particular network folder. Accordingly, do not use drive letters. Use share names instead.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
espringer

Post by espringer »

Sorry, yes, I am referring to media map files, I included the incorrect extension. Mine use .fsmap.
espringer

Post by espringer »

The script seems to unload all the media and then locks the door, but it then just sits here after it locks the door. It never runs the rest, any suggestions?

The media layout needs to be updated.
Unlocking the library door...
Door has been unlocked for library Firestreamer Media Changer.
The media layout of library 1 (library1) is updated.
Locking the library door...
Door has been locked for library Firestreamer Media Changer.
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

The script seems to unload all the media and then locks the door, but it then just sits here after it locks the door. It never runs the rest, any suggestions?
What do you expect the sample script to do (what do you mean by "the rest")? Have you modified the script in any way?

Please note that the sample script is provided "as is". We cannot be expected to troubleshoot any issue with the script, unless the issue is caused by Firestreamer itself.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support