suggested NAS?

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
cwhitmore

Post by cwhitmore »

I have an existing Dell PowerEdge 2950 that I could use as an iSCSI SAN for backups, but that only gives me about 3TB space available. I see that NetGear, Seagate and others have 10GB NAS boxes at affordable prices. Any suggestions, comments on NAS solutions others have used with Firestreamer?
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

I am sorry, but we are unable to recommend any particular hardware. According to our own experience, it's getting increasingly hard to find good hardware with equally good firmware/drivers. There's no way to tell if a particular device will fit the purpose without actually testing it.

You may want to prefer NAS with AD support. Otherwise, you will need to use an AD account with the same name and password as a local NAS account. This limitation will be removed in the next version of Firestreamer.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
cwhitmore

Post by cwhitmore »

Thanks for the heads up on the AD Integration. I'm looking at this HP Server (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6859105954), and adding some Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB SATA drives to it. Will this config work with Firestreamer if I use FreeNAS?
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

We cannot guarantee the config will work because it involves items beyond our control. However, I can see no reason for it not to work if FreeNAS is compatible with the hardware and can create a realiable network share. Please update us with the outcome. Thank you.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support