DPM 2010 MMC Crash

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
jarettweber

Post by jarettweber »

-DPM 2010
-Server 2008 R2 Enterprise
-Firestreamer 4.0.0 (4.0.1 Driver)
-We are still evaluating the product under the trial license

When modifying an existing protection group to include Firestreamer as the long term protection, the DPM 2010 MMC snap-in crashes. It happens right when the MMC is trying to enumerate the libraries in the "Select library and tape details".

I believe the problem exists because the protection group I'm trying to add long term protection to, had a previous Firestreamer Tape Library associated with it. Since then, we have modified the library (and correctly restarted the server) to have less tape slots and less drives than the default setup. The MMC error seems to lean towards a "value out of range". So basically, the protection group somehow has remnant data (even though the first set of long term protections was removed correctly) of it's original tape library association (thinks it has 10 available drives, but now only has 4). Thus, we get the MMC snap-in crash on enumeration.

Any insite or ideas on how to fix this in DPM/Firestreamer would be greatly apprciated. We are very close to purchasing our license but need to fix this to solidify the solution for us. Please let me know if you would me to send any logs.

Thank you,
Jarett Weber
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

I am sorry to say that we are unable to help you. You should report a crash in the DPM MMC snap-in to Microsoft Support. You can also check for DPM hotfixes on the Microsoft website.

If you reconfigured the library by the standard means, the reconfigured library would appear as a new one to DPM because of the changed serial number. The "old" library would not be present in the hardware list, and would be displayed as "offline" in DPM. It seems that you somehow managed to reconfigure the library without changing its serial number; to our experience, DPM doesn't like it.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support