Recovery of Data over WAN

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
johnaldwinckle

Post by johnaldwinckle »

Have installed the licenced version of Firestreamer. Have one DPM server at main office (DPM1). One DPM at Colocation with 100mb link between the two (DPM2). Trying to run a test restore job. Have backed up to long term media (i.e. firestreamer tape), from a server on main office LAN straight to DPM2. The server on the main LAN is only protected by DPM2. The protection group can backup the data perfectly ok. But upon restoration directly to original location i.e. on the remote LAN, the restore just hangs. Of around 300mb backed up it restored about 51mb and just sits doing nothing. Restoring to a local drive is ok. This does not appear to be bandwidth restrictions as a simple file copy (>800mb) works ok. Any ideas?
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

As far as I understood, you have two DPM servers connected via a 100mb link. DPM2 has a protection group that protects DPM1. Firestreamer is installed on DPM2 and uses file media on the same LAN with DPM2 (i.e. local to DPM2). When you create a recovery poing on DPM2 to back up DPM1, it succeeds. When you run a restore on DPM2 to the original location (DPM1), it hungs. When you run a restore on DPM2 to a local folder, it succeeds.

If the above is correct, then the issue has nothing to do with Firestreamer. Firestreamer only supplies data to DPM2. It's up to DPM2 to write the data locally or send it to a remote agent. You need to contact Microsoft Support. You may also want to search microsoft.com for any applicable DPM hotfixes.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support