Recommended FSRM-size in our case and in general?

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
LarsKot

Post by LarsKot »

jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

The MBR requirement doesn't apply to file media - please see my reply to your other post.

1) The disc space is not wasted. The size of an uncompressed .fsrm file matches the size of the actual data plus small overhead.

2) It's entirely up to you to enable or disable the co-location. There's no "space wasting", see (1) above.

3,4) Just start with some configuration and see how it goes. You can always adjust it later. We recommend leaving some storage slots empty so that you could load tapes for restore if needed. See also Firestreamer FAQs.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
LarsKot

Post by LarsKot »

Hi John

1:
Hallelujah!!!! What I was hoping for, I hate PHYSICAL tape waste :-)

2:
No physical tapes, I will prefer it.
On Firestreamer "tapes" I will NOT prefer it (each backup have et own set of "tapes" - with no waste).

3 & 4:
This could give som re-configuration in DPM because the tape library changes sometimes Serial Number (when changing amout of Tape drives and Storage slots - inside Firestreamer).
I will test it in my test enviroment.

Thans again for quick answering and also GOOD answers! :-D

Best regards
Lars
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

The customers with a fewer number of virtual tapes, especially those using drive media (as opposed to file media), may need the co-location enabled.

When the serial number of a Firestreamer tape library changes, you need to update the settings of all protection groups that use the library. It's a matter of a few minutes.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support