Firestreamer with off-site storage

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
techbri

Post by techbri »

I was curious if anyone has used Firestreamer with DPM 2010 and and a remote "NAS". I have some Synology NAS boxes which can be configured for iSCSI, SMB, and several other methods. I was considering putting one of these units off-site at our Co-Location facility and then mapping the server running firestreamer to it over a VPN link (already exists) to allow DPM to do VTL backups off-site. I know that DPM has the secondary server option but this will require a secondary server at the co-lo and another secondary server at HQ to get the data that DPM backs up at the CoLo and it seems like a "remote" firestreamer solution would be an easier way to do this. Is anyone doing this or has anyone tried it? Does anyone from Cristalink have any feedback on this? Thanks!
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

It's a common scenario. That's what Firestreamer is designed for.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
techbri

Post by techbri »

So as I understand it, I can rate limit a protection group in DPM so as not to saturate the circuits. If we had an earthquake (California here) and the the HQ where the DPM server lives was destroyed, I assume we could re-catalog the firestreamer volumes on a new dpm server to perform restores, correct?
techbri

Post by techbri »

Is there any mechanism for throttling firestreamer so that it won't consume the entire capacity of my 4.5Mbps circuit which ties to the colo vpn?
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

If we had an earthquake (California here) and the the HQ where the DPM server lives was destroyed, I assume we could re-catalog the firestreamer volumes on a new dpm server to perform restores, correct?
Like with physical tapes, you will need to import and recatalog the tapes with the new DPM server. Please refer to the DPM documentation for more info. For Firestreamer, nothing special is required.
I can rate limit a protection group in DPM so as not to saturate the circuits
I think that that setting in DPM applies to protection agents, not tape libraries.
Is there any mechanism for throttling firestreamer so that it won't consume the entire capacity of my 4.5Mbps circuit which ties to the colo vpn?
There is no any throttling mechanism in Firestreamer, sorry. If you use network shares, then you will need to throttle SMB traffic by some other means. Check to see if your VPN supports it.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
TohMing

Post by TohMing »

i am planning to do the same, just wonder, if it is full backup to firestreamer, does that means the full data is transferred over?
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

if it is full backup to firestreamer, does that means the full data is transferred over?
I would guess so. You need to talk to Microsoft Support. It has nothing to do with Firestreamer.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
TohMing

Post by TohMing »

js wrote:
> [quote]if it is full backup to firestreamer, does that means the full data is transferred
> over?[/quote]
> I would guess so. You need to talk to Microsoft Support. It has nothing to do with
> Firestreamer.

even you have primary or secondary DPM server onsite, long term backup/full backup, the full data will be transferred.

Thanks