Error creating file media.

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
marcgijsman

Post by marcgijsman »

L.S.

When i try to create file media on a file share I receive an error.

Unable to create the specified number of file media: User name or password is incorrect [C000006D]

Even after i change the helper service logon credentials.

Can anybody help me?

Marc
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Configure the Firestreamer Helper Service to run under the account that has access to your NAS. If NAS doesn't support Active Directory, use a local account with the same name and password as the NAS account. Do not use drive letters.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
marcgijsman

Post by marcgijsman »

Hi John,

I have resolved the issue, thanks for your reply.

I am working on a configuration you might find interesting.
At the moment we are running a DPM 2012 R2 server in Azure (IAAS) to backup data from our Azure VM's.
However that does not bring us long term retention, so i was looking for a cost effective way to get long term retention backups using DPM.

I came up with the following.
We use a new service from Azure (Azure File Services) to create a mapped network drive to our DPM server.
With Firestreamer VTL we create file media in that share and use those in DPM for our tape backups.

This provides a scalable storage environment which is cost effective because you only pay the GB's you use and you do not need additional file servers or extra disks.
Also because the new service is added to storage accounts in Azure you can select geo replication for off site copies.

Regards,

Marc
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Thank you for your feedback.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support