TSM

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
zubinp

Post by zubinp »

I am new to tape backup things.
I want to use Firestreamer with Tivoli Storage Manager server.
Can anybody guide me on it?
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

I am sorry to say that we haven't tested Firestreamer with TSM and cannot guarantee the compatibility. If you want to try Firestreamer with TSM, install both and follow the TSM documentation to see if TSM recognises Firestreamer as a tape library. If it does, load tape into Firestreamer and try to perform backup/restore in TSM.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
zubin

Post by zubin »

Thanks for your reply,
alright. no problem. I try it myself. Can you help to answer few questions below so as I can configure FireStreamer with TSM?

1> What type of library does FireStreamer emulate? IBM classifies library as MANUAL, SCSI, 349X, EXTernal, ACSLS, RSM.
2> What kind of media does it emulate? such as DLT, LTO, 8mm or other.
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Firestreamer implements a set of generic SCSI commands mandatory for tape drives and medium changers. It also comes with "minitape" and "minichanger" drivers which integrate Firestreamer with Windows' standard tape class driver. Firestreamer does not emulate any specific hardware.
1> What type of library does FireStreamer emulate? IBM classifies library as MANUAL, SCSI, 349X, EXTernal, ACSLS, RSM.
Those terms are effectively TSM-specific. Well-designed backup software should support any generic tape library without having to configure it manually. On Windows, Firestreamer appears as generic tape drives and a medium changer on a SCSI bus. TSM should be able to "see" it without any additional configuration. Otherwise, try "SCSI".
2> What kind of media does it emulate? such as DLT, LTO, 8mm or other.
Firestreamer reports its media type as IBM 3480, but it shouldn't matter. Well-designed backup software shouldn't care whether the tape is 8mm, 9mm, LTO, DLT, virtual or whatever.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
zubin

Post by zubin »

Thanks,
Can you just list out generic SCSI commands mandatory for tape drives and medium changers implemented by FireStreamer.
I am trying to troubleshoot Firestreamer on windows platform before configuring it with TSM.
Can you arrange commands in order in the list so as I can perform them and can be sure of proper working of FireStreamer.
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Please refer to the attached file.
Attachments
Firestreamer_SCSI_Commands.pdf
(72.85 KiB) Downloaded 1101 times
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support