DPM 2010 and firestreamer

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
Practait

Post by Practait »

Hi,

We have been using DPM 2010 and Firestreamer 4.0.0 to allocate USB drives as tapes for a while now with good success. However, one of our office DPM servers refuses to see the tapes that Firestreamer has loaded. When i inventory in DPM, the tape status comes back as empty every time and the DPM jobs fail with " Add Tape to Library and mark it as free". However, I have no option to mark the tapes as free in DPM under Slots as it is greyed out presumably because the tapes are marked as empty. Also, the Barcode from Firestreamer is not displayed in the barcode column of DPM.

Any ideas why this could be? I dont have problems with our other DPM servers and Firestreamer which are also DPM 2010

Thanks

John
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Make sure you haven't configured Firestreamer with multiple libraries. If you intentionally did so, make sure your protection groups use correct libraries, and you load tapes separately into each library (choose the library from the drop down box in the Firestreamer Snap-In).

In any case, make sure that your protection groups use the correct online library.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
Practait

Post by Practait »

Thank you for yopur reply. However, the protection groups are configured to use the correct libraries. When i inventory the tapes in DPM, I dont get a list of teh barcodes / tape ids that i see in Firestreamer. it just says empty which is what I think the issue lies. if I could get DPM to recognise the tapes, then i think all would be good
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Your description of the problem is not clear. You seem to confuse tapes with slots. Could you email us the screenshots of the Current State view of the Firestreamer Snap-In and the Maintenance/Libraries view of DPM?
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
Practait

Post by Practait »

I will try. A different USB disk seems to work OK. It just seems to be one disk with the issue. Firestreamer created the tapes OK and they are labled but DPM seems not to list them after and inventory
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Have you checked the Activity view of the Firestreamer Snap-In for any error or warning messages at all?
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
Practait

Post by Practait »

Hello.

I am still struggling with this. I have Firestreamer version 4. When i create new media on a USB drive, it creates the files for the tapes on it as 0Kb in size. I belive that this is why DPM is not recognising the tapes. Tapes that are recognised in DPM are 128Kb in size and have some content created by Firestreamer when the tapes were created. This however is not happening on new disks right now. Any suggestions please as to why this might be and as to how I can fix the situation? Would a newer release of Firestreamer help?

I have posted screen shots of Firestreamer and DPM. The DPM one shows that 0 tapes are available
Attachments
FS (Mobile).jpg
FS (Mobile).jpg (42.18 KiB) Viewed 18272 times
DPM (Mobile).jpg
DPM (Mobile).jpg (26.41 KiB) Viewed 18272 times
Practait

Post by Practait »

I have since discovered that the problem is only for 1 libray in DPM. Anyone know of any reason for this or a fix?
Practait

Post by Practait »

OK - I appear to have found the reason. the DPM library numbers did not match the Firestreamer library numbers and was causing me to think that the tapes were not present in DPM. Well they were, but I was looking in the wrong library as the numbers did not match. I have now renamed the DPM library numbers all seems OK now
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Thank you for your feedback.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support