DPM 2010 - Detailed tape inventory failed Operation failed

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
mbrittan

Post by mbrittan »

Hi,

I'm using DPM 2010 with Filestreamer 4 (driver 4.0.1) on Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 Bit) and am getting the following warning fairly frequently:

"Detailed tape inventory failed Operation failed since the slot 82 in library Firestreamer Media Changer was empty. This tape is currently present in Drive Firestreamer Tape Drive ..."

This does not seem to prevent backups but is annoying - nothing is logged in the filestreamer console.

Looking through your website I've been unable to find any mention of this. However there are a number of comments on forums with regards to physical tape libraries and responses from Microsoft employees seem to indicate that this is an issue with the tape driver. An example is:

http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.da ... ry-failing

I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.

Regards,
Matt
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Firestreamer doesn't set CHANGER_PREDISMOUNT_EJECT_REQUIRED, so it's not the same "known issue" as with IBM TotalStorage.

You need to contact Microsoft Support to resolve the issue. We have no way to know what exactly causes DPM to display the error message. Generally speaking, it's OK to have a tape in a drive instead of a slot, so it's not clear why DPM complains. Firestreamer doesn't move tapes between storage slots and tape drives on its own. Instead, everything is controlled by DPM.
  • Make sure that the initial media layout has tapes in storage slots only.
  • Make sure there are no other tape jobs running when you start detailed inventory - see Pranay's comment in the link that you mentioned.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

See also http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... b2b5218712. The error seems to be reported when DPM performs inventory while a backup job is in progress.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support