Possibility to increase network timeout

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Thank you for the update.

As far as I understood, you now have two 32TB storages, one local and one remote. They don't have to be "identical" though.

I wonder if DPM is smart enough for you to be able to restart a failed backup from the point of failure. For example, a backup job successfully writes tapes 1 to 16, the library then "stops functioning" at tape 17, you (or a script) restarts the backup job, and the job writes just tapes 17 to 32 without going through tapes 1 to 16 again. We don't know the answer; you may want to ask Microsoft.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
namezero111111

Post by namezero111111 »

You understand correctly.

No, of course they could be different, but since we're at about 22TB right now, we decided for an identical storage and then replicate everything with DFS-R, so that they're essentially mirrors of each other (time-delayed of course).

I wish DPM was smart enough to do something like that, or at least have the option to say "If the operation fails, sleep for 10 minutes and then retry before failing". But it doesn't.

[ot]In fact, Microsoft didn't even think about enabling you to connect the DPM console to another server. Fail. Because now you have to RDP into the server rather than connecting remotely as with any other MMC/RSAT tool...[/ot]

Fortunately, this new solution works very well, as does Firestreamer!

Thanks again!