DPM tape recovery

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
dmh2000

Post by dmh2000 »

I am evaluating your product for our new datacenter. I am using the virtual libray with 5GB files and have the backup process down great. I read through your DPM documentation and you do not have a recovery walk through for tapes using DPM. Is it the same process as adding files in Media layout window, copy the needed tape files back to the tape folder and lock/inventory tape librrary? Do you have to unload the drive first in FireStreamer?

Do you have a good step by step procedure to recover files in DPM.

Thanks,
Dusty
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

As with physical tape, you need to load the tapes you need to restore from into the tape library. To load virtual tapes, you need to update the media layout and lock the library door in DPM.

>>copy the needed tape files back to the tape folder
You don't have to copy tape files as long as they are accessible. Just update the media layout to point to the tapes, wherever they are located.

>>Do you have to unload the drive first in FireStreamer
Sorry, I am not sure what you meant to ask.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
dmh2000

Post by dmh2000 »

I guess you do not unload tapes in the Firestreamer Snap-in's console tree, I saw "click Media, click the Action menu, click Unload All", just update the fsmap file as you said and load the file.

If you unload tapes and then load from the fsmap file do you get another set of randomly numbered tapes or is it the same set that you originally had (started with)?
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

"Unload All" is the same as applying an empty media layout. You don't have to "Unload All" before loading tapes from a .fsmap file because Firestreamer will unload current tapes before loading new ones.

When you load tapes from a .fsmap file, you load the tapes that are defined in that file. See Media Map.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support