Rotating 2TB USB Drives Daily

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
adeloera

Post by adeloera »

I'm not sure how Firestreamer works with removable storage on a daily basis. Using DPM 2007 on Windows 2008 Server, I currently perform a full backup backup nightly to one tape drive (about 1TB network data) and send the tape offsite for two weeks. The tapes rotate back in daily (not on weekends). What I would like to do is use 2TB USB portable drives in much the same way I am dealing with tapes.

With Firestreamer, each day I would remove the USB drive and send offsite, while replacing it with the USB drive brought back onsite the day before. The drives would all be the same make, model, and capacity. This would entail using 10 USB drives.

My question is, will this scenerio be easy to implement with Firestreamer? Can it be made as simple as each day just removing a USB drive and plugging in a different drive? This would resolve my concern of continuing to have a method of having data offsite. Thanks.

Tony DeLoera
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Please see What is the best backup strategy for my environment?
Can it be made as simple as each day just removing a USB drive and plugging in a different drive
Yes it can, but then you will need to write a script that detects a drive change, unlocks the library door in DPM, updates the media layout in Firestreamer and locks the library door in DPM. Without the script, you will have to perform these operations manually. We are working on a sample script which will be published in a few weeks.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
ronwoods

Post by ronwoods »

I too would love to see this script, please post when available, thank you.
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support