Disaster Recovery - Errors E016, E025

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
rotenasen

Post by rotenasen »

Hello,

we are using Firestreamer with DPM 2010 on a Windows Server 2008 R2 (with all updates). The DPM is set up with a local SQL instance.

Since the Backup to Tape works fine we wanted to do a disaster recovery test.
We are using 3 x 2TB Western Digital external HDs with each 150 Tapes on it, each has a size of 10.800MB (M).

For the Disaster Recovery, I have set ip a separated LAN to use the same IP addresses and names for all servers.

I had to start with setting up and dc with a fake domain, since I have my dc backop on disk, setup the DPM with same system and updates + firestreamer. Now i see my 150 Tapes, but when start the detailed inventory of my tapes (for further recataloging to restore my backup) i am getting an DPM error ID 3316, who thinks that all tapes are cleaning tapes and were incorrectly as backup tapes.

The Firestreamer log tells me errors with ID E016 (unable to open the medium) and ID E025 (unable to insert the medium).

I tried the following:

E026: The drive medium <mediumName> was being used by another process: <error>

The tape drive was unable to obtain exclusive access to the medium because the latter was being used by another process. To resolve the issue, follow the steps below:

Make sure you have closed all other programs (including Windows Explorer) which could access the media drive.
Try to assign a drive letter to the drive and open it in Windows Explorer to see if the drive is accessible.
Check the status of the drive in Windows Disk Management. The drive must not be marked as offline.
If you are logged on via Remote Desktop, try to log on locally to see if Windows is displaying a message related to the drive.
If the drive does not contain important data, try to reformat the drive in Windows Disk Management to see if the latter can lock the drive to perform the format operation.

E016: Unable to open the medium <mediumName>: <error>

The tape drive was unable to open the medium due to the specified error. Ensure that the medium name is valid.

If the message relates to a file medium, then the following errors may be displayed:

Access is denied. Error code: 0xC0000022 (STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED).
This error most likely indicates that the account the Firestreamer Helper Service is running under has insufficient rights to access the file. For more information, see File Media.
The system cannot find the file specified. Error code: 0xC0000034 (STATUS_OBJECT_NAME_NOT_FOUND).
You need to create a file medium before it can be loaded into a tape drive. For more information, see File Media.

--> Therefore I took ownership once with the system account (and helper service running under system), another time i tried with rights for "everyone" and i tried with rights & ownership to administrator and changed the logon from the helper server to administrator.

I looked into the forum, where i found this thread: http://support.cristalink.com/forum/vie ... m+e016#p26
So I combined the substitution of the drive letters combined with all other steps before, but without any success.

I really want this test working and now I am out of options. Can you please tell my, where the problem originates or what aspect I am missing?

Thanks in advance and if you need any further information let me know!
Kind Regards,
Gernot
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

I'm sorry, but I'm having troubles understanding your setup.
We are using 3 x 2TB Western Digital external HDs with each 150 Tapes on it, each has a size of 10.800MB (M).
It looks like you use "file media", when each virtual tape corresponds to a physical file. You also have a server with Microsoft DPM and Firestreamer, and you want to perform a restore on that server. I further guess that you connected one of your external HDDs to the server. Now you need to load the tapes residing on the HDD into the library. In the Media Layout Editor, click Media, then click Add Existing File Media, select the tapes and add them to the media layout. Click Media, then click Substitute Drive Letters. Click Load Media. Now you can inventory the library in DPM and perform a restore.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
rotenasen

Post by rotenasen »

[quote="js"]I'm sorry, but I'm having troubles understanding your setup.

[quote]We are using 3 x 2TB Western Digital external HDs with each 150 Tapes on it, each has a size of 10.800MB (M).[/quote]

It looks like you use "file media", when each virtual tape corresponds to a physical file. You also have a server with Microsoft DPM and Firestreamer, and you want to perform a restore on that server. I further guess that you connected one of your external HDDs to the server. Now you need to load the tapes residing on the HDD into the library. In the Media Layout Editor, click [b]Media[/b], then click [b]Add Existing File Media[/b], select the tapes and add them to the media layout. Click [b]Media[/b], then click [b]Substitute Drive Letters[/b]. Click [b]Load Media[/b]. Now you can inventory the library in DPM and perform a restore.[/quote]

Thank you, that was it. I just always unlocked the libr door and loaded the .fsmap file, like i do on the live server, because i thought it will load everything needed. And i have seen the tapes in the library after, that's why i didn't assume this as incorrect.

Thanks again for helping me with my misunderstanding and for your very fast response!