Recover previous tape library

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
pbhcpa

Post by pbhcpa »

Our DPM server died, we've got it up and running again but I'm having a hard time getting it to use the previous firstreamer library. Is there a database I can recover off the old drives and overwrite on the new server? If not, could you give me some pointers? I'd hate to lose our offsite tapes and want to keep the barcode naming convention.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what the problem is. Could you provide details?

It doesn't matter what library you use, as long as it's compatible with the tapes. Even if you reinstalled Firestreamer and its serial number has changed, you should be able to restore your old tapes. You will also need to reconfigure your protection groups to use the new library. Make sure that the bar code prefix of the new library differs from the old one, so that even if the tape sequence counter is reset, the new autogenerated bar codes differ from the old ones.

Don't give much meaning to the actual content of the bar codes because it will only complicate things. Keep it as simple as possible.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
pbhcpa

Post by pbhcpa »

Ok, well that simplifies things a bit. My director and I were over complicating it apparently. We haven't had to do anything with Firestreamer since it's inital setup a year ago (since it's rock solid) so when the physical server died it was like scrambling to get things back in order.

Basically I ditched trying to use the existing 0 byte tapes, created a new library with a different barcode. Loaded it, updated the protection groups, bounced the server so it cleared the offline library and was able to run a successful test. Thanks for offering assistance!

Jamie
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Thank you for the update. It sounds like you did it all right.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support