Firestremer to NAS network requeriments

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
oskar

Post by oskar »

Hi,
We use DPM 2010. I want to use long-term backup and place it in a different office via a WAN link. Can I install firestremer on our DPM server and then put a NAS on the second office over the WAN link, or do I need to set up a secondary DPM server at the other office where firestremer is installed?

We have only a 5Mbit WAN link, but according to my calculations, it is sufficient for a DPM to DPM server synchronization.
However, I would rather not put up a secondary DPM server.
Is there any difference on how much data is sent/replicated between DPM server to the DPM server, or from the DPM server to the NAS via firestremer?
Does firestreamer requer a high speed connection between itself and the storage (NAS)?

Thanks for advice :)
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Can I install firestremer on our DPM server and then put a NAS on the second office over the WAN link
Yes, you can.
Is there any difference on how much data is sent/replicated between DPM server to the DPM server, or from the DPM server to the NAS via firestremer?
The traffic between Firestreamer and NAS is the actual tape data plus the SMB protocol overhead. We don't know what exactly is sent between two DPM servers, but I guess it's the actual deduplicated data plus some proprietary protocol overhead. My guess is that for one full backup then incremental backups the amount of data will be approximately the same. However, if you plan to perform more than one full backup or want to copy tapes then it probably makes sense to install a secondary DPM server for it to cache data locally to reduce the traffic.

See also http://support.cristalink.com/forum/vie ... p?f=3&t=99
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support