Unable to open the medium - Device not ready

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
fbrem

Post by fbrem »

Hello,

since a few weeks i get for some file medias the error message E025 and E016. The media name is valid and there is no security problem, as other file medias are loaded sucessfully.

11/03/2010 09:11:00 | Error | E025 | L1T005 | Unable to insert the medium [file://G:\FIRESTREAM_BKP01_100000000CE.fsrm*12000] into a tape drive: Device not ready [C0000013] | file://G:\FIRESTREAM_BKP01_100000000CE.fsrm*12000 | FIRESTREAM_BKP01_100000000CE

11/03/2010 09:11:30 | Error | E016 | L1T005 | Unable to open the medium [G:\FIRESTREAM_BKP01_100000000CE.fsrm]: Device not ready [C0000013] | file://G:\FIRESTREAM_BKP01_100000000CE.fsrm*12000 | FIRESTREAM_BKP01_100000000CE

(Translated from german event log message)
I work with Firestreamer Version 4.0

What do you suggest to isolate the problem for this behavior?
Thank you in advance

Felix
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Hi Felix,

The "Device not ready" error (C0000013) comes from Windows when Firestreamer tries to open the file. It may indicate a faulty HDD (is that what you are using?). It's also possible that you have the power saving feature enabled for your HDD or the storage controller (for example, USB Selective Suspend). When Firestreamer tries to access the file on the disk, the latter is powered down ("not ready"), and it takes time for it to power up. When the disk is ready, it's too late.

We will probably make Firestreamer to wait for a few seconds and then retry the operation when it gets the error.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
fbrem

Post by fbrem »

Hello js,

It may indicate a faulty HDD (is that what you are using?)
We are using an external HD over USB. But still, thats odd, it is possible for me, to successfully copy those files to another drive, by example.

I just checked the USB-Root-Hub energy save option, they have been activated. After deactivating and a restart of the server, the problem still exists. There are no other energy save options activated.

Is it possible, that just a few specific files on a disc can be corrupt and not readable for Firestreamer? Is there a way to verify the *.fsrm Files?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Beste regards
Felix
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Are you saying that Firestreamer cannot open particular files at all, and "Device not ready" is displayed for those files, but other .fsrm files on the same disk work fine? If so then it looks like a disk problem.
Is it possible, that just a few specific files on a disc can be corrupt and not readable for Firestreamer?
It's very unlikely. The error code would be different if the file was corrupted.
it is possible for me, to successfully copy those files to another drive
It may be because Windows retries the operation while Firestreamer doesn't. It'd be interesting to see what's happening to the failing file in Process Monitor. Could you try both Firestreamer and Windows Explorer on the same file under Process Monitor to trace the file opening operations, and send the resulting log file to support@cristalink.com? Thank you.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
fbrem

Post by fbrem »

Hello, sorry for the delay.

[quote]Are you saying that Firestreamer cannot open particular files at all, and "Device not ready" is displayed for those files, but other .fsrm files on the same disk work fine? If so then it looks like a disk problem. [/quote]

No, i thought so, but firestreamer fails actually with every file on the disk.

[quote]It may be because Windows retries the operation while Firestreamer doesn't. It'd be interesting to see what's happening to the failing file in Process Monitor. Could you try both Firestreamer and Windows Explorer on the same file under Process Monitor to trace the file opening operations, and send the resulting log file to support@cristalink.com? Thank you. [/quote]

As we have a disk rotation, i have to wait for a week. I will then send you the required log files.

Thank you for your help.
Best regards
Felix
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

We investigated the issue while working on the next version of Firestreamer, and it seems that the problem is because you are using drive letters. Firestreamer opens file media in the security context of the Firestreamer Helper Service, and the drive mappings there are likely to differ from your current account. Under your account, G: points to the external USB drive. Under the Firestreamer Helper Service's account, G: points apparently to some other empty drive (for example, a CD-ROM drive), hence error code C0000013 (STATUS_NO_MEDIA_IN_DEVICE).

Do not use drive letters. Replace all drive letters in your media layout with volume names with the Substitute Drive Letters command.

I apologize it took so long to find out the actual cause of the problem. It would help if we received the log files.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support