Firestreamer and DPM 2010 loading new tape

The technical support forum for Firestreamer (the virtual tape library).
tbu

Post by tbu »

Hi to all
I'm new to DPM 2010 and Firestreamer as well.

I'm just experimenting with Firestreamer Ver. 4.0 and DPM 2010. That means I load (and also create sometimes) and unload tapes (tape files on shared folder) for some reason. I experienced that it is a little be cumbersome to notify DPM 2010 what's going on. I do rescan, inventory and so on. After fiddling around DPM 2010 (rescan, inventory, open and close the door and so on several times) is reflecting the correct state of tapes sitting in their slot(s) or not.

My question:

What is the correct sequence of actions to be done in Firestreamer console and DPM 2010 as well in the case of unloading and reloading (or creating a new tape file and loading it) so that
DPM 2010 is always reflecting the correct state (empty Slot, or filled slot). It took me several rounds of rescan, inventory, open or close the door rebooting the machine and so on to achieve the correct state displayed the management libraries
tab of DPM console.

Environment:
WIN 2K8 R2 64 bit Server as virtual machine under HYPER-V running:
DPM 2010
Firestreamer 4.0

Best regards

Thomas Burchard
jsf
Cristalink Support

Post by jsf »

Normally, it should be enough to do the following with DPM 2010:
  1. Unlock the library door in DPM.
  2. Load a new media layout (in other words, change tapes) in Firestreamer.
  3. Lock the library door in DPM.
Once the door is locked, DPM will perform automatic inventory of the library. Just wait for several minutes, and DPM will update the library state. Note that the Inventory command is not an instant synchronous operation. It merely starts inventory jobs. It takes some time for the jobs to complete. You may want to check the Monitoring tab in DPM for the jobs in progress.

The Rescan command should not be necessary at all. It's for detecting new tape libraries, not for daily use.
Best regards,
John Smith
Cristalink Support
tbu

Post by tbu »

...yes. It's so simple! I detected it yesterday. Locking and unlocking the door is completely sufficient for loading and unloading of tapes for frequent maintenance tasks . It works perfectly. Thank you. Your software is very comfortable. Very easy to use!

Best regards

Thomas Burchard